I am very glad to have had the chance to interview her, and you'll love what she has to say about her publishing experience.
What We Talked About:
- Started by going the traditional route-- got an agent hoping to have her work published.
- During the time Self-Publishing started getting big, she let her agent go in order to go Indie.
- Biggest influences were Ann Rice, Steven King, Jacquline Carey, Robert Jordan.
- The best promotional tool for her has been Amazon KDP Select Free Days.
- Takes part in group promotions to help get her name out.
- Thinks big shifts are coming in the future of e-publishing, but right now the best exposure is from Amazon.
- Tells new writers to write everyday-- treat it like a muscle that needs to be exercised.
- Get your story out and don't worry about perfection until editing.
- Several rounds of professional editing, beta readers, and proof-reading before publishing.
- Running a promotion where if readers review books, they're entered into a drawing for an iPad.
How do you feel about giving your book away in the KDP Select Program? Does in devalue your work or is it a marketing tool?
Books by Shannon Mayer: